Monday, June 16, 2008

New York Landlords are Liars

When I was searching for a place to live, I noticed that it was a coin toss as to whether or not a place would have central air. Some places sported window a/c units and others had nothing at all. When I expressed concern over this (because we all know how well I deal with the heat!), I was told it was unnecessary because it only gets hot here about 2 weeks in August.

Filthy Liars.

Due to the excessive heat and stuffiness in my house, I have taken to sleeping with the front door and kitchen window open hoping to catch a cross breeze. A few minutes ago, as I sat on the computer (out of sight of the door) checking email, I heard the screen door latch click shut. Now if there was any wind to speak of, I could chalk it up to that. But Noooooo, there's been nothing. So I was left with the horrifying idea that someone had silently entered the house. Frantically, looking around for something dangerous to threaten said intruder with, all I could muster was a freakin' stapler!

For crying out loud! My heart is beating 100 miles and hour and I am seriously thinking someone is in the house. Visions of "When a Stranger Calls Back" (damn movie!) are dancing through my brain and I'm peeking around the doorjamb armed with an office implement! Fully prepared to pull a Crocodile Dundee and bean my attacker in the head, I creep through the house, arm cocked and discover. . . nothing.

I'm not certain, but I think the NRA just revoked my membership.

No comments: